We arrived in Washington DC on the 2nd of November. I don’t know where the time goes. In fact I don’t know how I ever had time to work. There was so much to do here and so much to see that we were constantly busy. It seems like we are always on the go.

We started our tours the second day here with a visit to the White House. Skyler, our grand daughter is visiting for the next two months and this is where she has been impatiently waiting to see. They now have self-guided tours but still require passes to visit the White House. We were there on November 4th, Election Day.

There were secret service men/women everywhere. In fact the secret service are the ones that were along the route of the tour or in some of the rooms. I thought they were security men but I found out differently the day before as I put my foot in my mouth by asking one very nice young man in front of the White House who had a guard dog. He had police written all over him. I asked him if he was one of the guards at the white house. He said, “I’ll answer your question if you don’t call me a guard, I am a secret service man!” He laughed and I felt really dumb. All the police around the area are actually secret service agents. Anyway, while visiting, President Bush was in his office but to Skyler's disappointment she never got to see him. Oh well, maybe next time.


Even though we didn’t have the opportunity to see President Bush we did see Vice President Cheney (and Bo Derek as the announcer)on Veterans Day at Arlington National Cemetery. We went to the Memorial Ceremony and then after that watched the changing of the guards. WOW!!! So precise and moving to watch. This place reminds you over and over again how lucky we are to be free and how many have made that sacrifice for us. Thanks to all of them, and those currently serving.


We spent a day at Mount Vernon. Skyler couldn't wait to see this. She loves George Washington. We had a very nice day.

One day we even drove to Baltimore to spend with Jennifer and her family. We just had to have crab one more time at Obrykies Crab House. It was as good as I remembered.

We also spent a day at the Library of Congress, and there was a wonderful display of Bob Hope’s career and life. This was the most beautiful of all the buildings we saw. We could have taken a whole day to visit this building.


We visited the Pentagon, Capitol, State Department, Memorials, National Archives, and a whole lot more. Skyler signed a congratulations card for newly elected Obama. There was so much to see and do that I can’t possibly tell all about it without boring you so I will just add more pictures.
So much to do so little time. I have been here multiple times but still have not seen it all. Next time I will only visit the places I have not seen.
We are all tired, including the dogs, but had a great time. We move on tomorrow to Chesapeake Bay, Virginia.
No comments:
Post a Comment