Since being here in Niagara Falls we have seen a lot. The falls were beautiful, loud and the most incredible views. It is impossible to describe them. They are just so breathtaking. I learned today that twice the falls have stopped. Once they froze and the other time in 1956 they stopped them to see the rocks underneath to determine if they were stable. The falls recede from erosion about 5 to 6 inches a year. In the past 12 million years they have receded over miles. It’s hard to believe that over ½ million gallons fall every second every day of the year. Where does all that water come from?
We saw the Maid of the Mist. This is a boat ride that gets you very close to the falls. So close in fact that they give you rain coats so you don’t get drenched. You get right up almost under the falls.
We also saw the Cave of the Winds. This involves walking up a deck built on the rocky side of the Water Falls. The noise sounds like thunder, the water pours down on you and force of the water fall almost knocks you down. This was the biggest rush of all.
We were given poncho and sandals to keep us dry and prevent us from slipping. The stairs were reconstructed only 20-25 feet away from the water falls. I am enclosing a picture of these stairs because I can’t believe the construction. It is amazing that they can stand up to the falls. I wonder if my brothers would think they are safe. Maybe we could rebuild them.
Here is a picture of us and our friends we are traveling with Shirley and Neil.
All in all we saw some wonderful things and I think everyone should see this at least once in their lifetime. Tomorrow we move again.
Beautiful view!!! Retirement looks tough:) I was at the niagra falls about 10 years ago and was able to go on that boat, the maid of the mist, it was pretty neat. Keep having fun.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Jen